Thursday, November 23, 2017

Pray in The Shower

Something to think about.

Pray in The Shower

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)

The first time I heard this verse I was confused. How does one "pray without ceasing?" I took it literally since it did not appear to offer any other interpretation.  For a long time, I did not know how to  pray "without ceasing." 

I've come to realize it is an attitude more than an action. It means to celebrate every victory. To rejoice in the goodness of God. It means to be thankful to God for His continual mercies past, present and future. It means to pray in the shower.  

As I was taking a shower this morning, I was thinking of a friend who is going through some marital issues. Instead of lamenting over his problems I decided to pray for Him and then for others. I have developed this habit. When I am doing things that are repetitive that don't require much brain power I've learned to pray. I pray for everyone usually by name I pray for the nation, pray for my family pray for my friends. I pray for my team. I pray for Israel, I pray for my president even if I don't like him I pray for our leaders. Do I pray for all of them at once? No, I don't but as the Lord leads I pray.  What I've learned is praying without ceasing is not about praying all the time but praying at every opportunity. 

Pray in the shower, pray at the stop light, pray when walking the dog, pray when driving. You may think you can't do that. But yes you, can you are always thinking about something, think about praying. All it is is a shift in focus. Instead of thinking about people and situations think about solutions and how to help others.  What you will quickly realize is you don't have all the answers but you know who does.  And you know how to pray. 

Praying without ceasing brings you to rejoicing to thankfulness. It brings you to higher levels of faith. Higher levels of victory and higher levels of thankfulness.  You cannot pray unceasingly without arriving at the joy and thankfulness. Next time you're taking a shower instead of letting your mind focus on your problems or wander aimlessly. Start to pray. Whomever you pray for needs it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you think please leave a comment.